Combat Related Special Compensation (CRSC)

Combat Related Special Compensation (CRSC) is a program that was created for disability and non-disability military retirees with combat-related disabilities.  It is a tax free entitlement that you will be paid each month along with any retired pay you may already be receiving.


To qualify for CRSC you must:

  • be entitled to and/or receiving military retired pay
  • be rated at least 10 percent  by the Department of Veteran’s Affairs (VA)
  • waive your VA pay from your retired pay
  • file a CRSC application with your Branch of Service

Disabilities that may be considered combat related include injuries incurred as a direct result of:

  • Armed Conflict
  • Hazardous Duty
  • An Instrumentality of War
  • Simulated War

Retroactive Payment

In addition to monthly CRSC payments, you may be eligible for a retroactive payment.  DFAS will audit your account to determine whether or not you are due retroactive payment. An audit of your account requires researching pay information from both DFAS and VA.

If you are due any money from DFAS, you will receive it within 30-60 days of receipt of your first CRSC monthly payment. If DFAS finds that you are also due a retroactive payment from the VA, we will forward an audit to the VA. They are responsible for paying any money they may owe you.


Your retroactive payment date may go back as far as June 1, 2003, but can be limited based on:

  • your overall CRSC start date as awarded by your Branch of Service
  • your Purple Heart eligibility
  • your retirement date
  • your retirement law (disability or non-disability)
  • six-year barring statute

Disability retirees with less than 20 years of service will be automatically limited to a retroactive date of January 1, 2008 as required by legislation passed by Congress effective 2008.

All retroactive pay is limited to six years from the date the VA awarded compensation for each disability.

If you have questions about your CRSC eligibility, please call us at 800-321-1080 or contact your Branch of Service.
Go to website –

Applying for CRSC

Military retirees who receive Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) pay and think they are eligible for Combat Related Special Compensation (CRSC) must apply to their branch of service.

When to Apply

You should submit a CRSC application if:

  • you think you are eligible for CRSC and have never applied.
  • you have been approved for CRSC, but you have more disabilities that you think might qualify.
  • the VA has recently added more disabilities to your rating that you think might qualify.

The VA recently expanded coverage to those suffering from the following medical conditions associated with Agent Orange.

  • Ischemic Heart Disease
  • Parkinson’s Disease
  • Hairy Cell Leukemia
  • other Chronic B-cell Leukemia

If you have received a VA rating that includes one of these conditions, you should consider applying or reapplying for CRSC.

How to Apply

  1. If you are applying for the first time, complete DD Form 2860. If you are reapplying for new disabilities, request a reconsideration application from your service branch.
  1. Include documents you feel will help your case. These might include:
  • Retirement orders
  • 20-year letter or statement of service (for reservists)
  • Relevant pages in your VA or service medical record & VA ratings
  • Purple Heart award citations
  • Retirement Form DD214

Your branch will make decisions based on what you send. The quality of the information is more important than quantity.

Send copies, not original documents. Your branch will not return them.


  1. Mail or fax your application to your branch of service. You can’t submit it electronically.


Department of Navy Naval Council of Review Boards

Combat-Related Special Compensation Branch

720 Kennon Street S.E., Suite 309

Washington Navy Yard, DC 20374-5023

877-366-2772 • Email:


Get in Touch. Get Involved.

The best way to help is to get involved with the League. We are always looking for new members to join us and support the Marine Corps League. Get in touch now.

Contact the Department of New Jersey MCL